End of Year Class Evaluation
1) Watch the following videos on viral replication.
2) Please take Animation quizzes 1-3 on the following website. The link is for the first quiz, links to the second 2 quizzes are found on the left hand side. No grades for correctness, just for completeness so print out what you get and do your best.
Transcription and Translation Assignment
1) Go to the following website, and work through the questions. There's a quiz at the end - get a 100% on it, print it out, and give to sub.
2) If there is time at the end of class, go to the textbook and answer 5-10 questions (your choice) at the end.
DNA replication assignment:
1) Work through DNA replication animation tutorial on the following website. Read/Listen to each section, and answer questions as they come up.
2) After completing the tutorial, write a paragraph summarizing the process of DNA replication. Use the following terms in your paragraph: DNA polymerase, ligase, RNA polymerase, helicase, topoisomerase, leading strand, lagging strand, Okazaki fragments, 5'-3'. (Topoisomerases were not discussed in the tutorial - please look up.)
Genetics of Organisms Lab
Go through lab, answering questions on the website as they come up, and take the quiz at the end. You must get a 100% on the quiz, so if you don't the first time, work through the questions you got wrong and try again. Once you get a 100%, print out the quiz and hand in.
Plant Biotechnology Websites:
Read about how plants genomes are modified here (read "Methods")
Play the "Engineering a Crop: Transgenic Manipulation" game here:
Read an intro to GM crops from the federal government here, and check out projects at the bottom (once you click on one, read briefs):
Go to "Should We Grow GM Crops" site. Run through, voting your opinion each time, and then summarize your experience, what you learned about GM crops, and what you think the US should do concerning GM crops. 2 pages written or typed double spaced.
check out at least 2 light reaction and 2 calvin cycle animations at:
work on at least 1 challenge at:
and learn about natural selection, then play the survival game. You have to make it to 1,000,000 years at least once!
THEN, go to the following website:
1) Read through the first 3 pages.
2) On the evolution simulation page, press help, then run your arrow over different parts of the game to learn about them.
3) Go through 250 cycles a couple of times, with the settings as they are.
4) Go to the next page, and in "Further Experiments to Try," do three of them and answer the questions asked. Hand in those questions.