Frequently Asked Questions
- How are snow days decided and announced?
The decision regarding emergency weather closings or delays is a Berkshire County-wide process. Starting around 4:30 AM calls are made to highway departments throughout the county and shared through a phone tree of superintendents and principals. Decisions concerning the two most recent weather "events" were made after no less than a dozen calls to different individuals around the county- especially in north county. Since Mount Greylock faculty and staff come from VT., NY, CT., and across the whole county, it is important to gather information from a wide area.
The decision to close or delay the opening of school at Mount Greylock is made by 6 AM.
When a decision is made to close or delay school, notice is provided through the following channels. Note that it may take some time for the information to appear, or storm conditions may block communications to one or more of them. It doesn't hurt to check more than one channel!
- Automated "robo call" at roughly 6:00 a.m. (If you are not currently on the list to receive these phone calls, call the district office at 458-9582 x149)
- Mount Greylock website : a notice will appear at the top of the home page
- MGRHS Announcements email list (go here to subscribe)
- TV Stations
- Channels 6, 9, 10 and 13 in Berkshire County
- Channel 22 in Springfield
- Radio Stations:
- WBEC-Pittsfield FM 95.9 & AM 1420
- WBRK-Pittsfield FM 101.7 & AM 1340
- WBTN-Bennington AM 1370
We live in a region with greatly variable weather. Even if school is open, the final decision on sending a child to school rests with the parents. This is the winter so be prepared to drive accordingly.
- Who should I call when my student will be absent?
A parent or guardian should contact the Front Office at 458-9582, extension 101, the morning of their student’s absence.